Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Garmin Connect - Activity Details for Dec 16th Run (Week 17, Run 48)

Garmin Connect - Activity Details for Dec 16th Run (Week 17, Run 48)

Click the link above for my run from yesterday.

Okay... yes, running on ice is one of the hardest things you can do! The trail I run still has ice on a large portion of it. In fact, from Quiedersbach to Linden is still pretty much covered, with only small breaks here & there. I honestly felt like a Looney Toons character during my run as I turned to go up one of the hills on my route. My feet were moving, but my body was pretty much stationary. I was explaining to my wife last night, that it was like a mix of a Reebok Slide & being pulled around a tile floor in socks. Very weird feeling, plus my legs are sore. I guess it used different sections of my muscles to manage the ice running?

That wasn't the strangest part of the run though. Here comes some science content that I can't explain, so if anyone has any explanations, fire them my way. So the trail was pretty much covered in ice. Why is it that in the broad open sections that had no tree cover, the ice was thick & solid, yet the parts that had tree cover, even trees that had already lost all of their leaves for the winter, weren't covered with ice. In fact, there were several parts that didn't have ice, where only 1 or 2 branches of trees overhung the trail and the ice was thawed. It was just very weird to me, and I just can't explain it. I figured the open areas, that got sunlight yesterday, would have been more thawed than the areas that weren't exposed to the sunlight due to the tree cover.

It was a nice run though, a little slower because of the ice, but I managed. My shin didn't hurt at all yesterday, until I ran! 3 days off had me not feeling any pain until I started running again. Not too excited about that. Sounding more & more like it might be shin splints or a micro fracture to my shin bone as opposed to a muscle injury. Guess I'll just keep plugging away.

This will probably be the last run of the week, unless I get one in on Friday, as we are help some friends make Christmas cookies today & going to Nurnburg & Rothenburg to the Christmas Markets on Saturday... all day trip from 0530 til 2300. Woohoo!

2 comments:

  1. If I had to guess (keeping in mind I'm not a botanist or anything of the sort :) ), I'd think that the CO2 given of by the tree has something to do with it. In the clearings. Couple that with the branches acting as insulation holding in what ambient heat there is, and you have a possible explanation...

    Of course, I could be (and like am) talking out of my ass... :D

    ReplyDelete