Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Getting Armoured Up to Run

I've been talking a lot lately about how the Base Exchange(BX) (our version of a department store that is located on most military installations, also called AAFES) hasn't had what I have needed for my running gear since they opened this new, multi-million dollar store.  When they had 2 stores, they always seemed to have what I needed.  Now that they are down to one store, they have yet to have some gear that I need for my cold weather runs.  So, I guess I will cover a little bit of my gear.

I am an Under Armour kind of guy.  A lot of runners give Under Armour mixed reviews.
I think it's some of the best stuff ever made, but then again, my experience as a runner is limited here.  For those of you who have been living under a rock for the past several years, Under Armour is a brand name for a form fitting, moisture wicking, apparel company.  Their gear was originally designed to be worn under football shoulder pads to help regulate the players body temperature, as shoulder pad don't breathe very well.  The material carries moisture, sweat, from the body, to the outer surface of the garment, allowing for speedy evaporation & body cooling.

Under Armour comes in 3 varieties, Heat Gear, All Season, & Cold Gear.  Pretty simple, Heat Gear for when it's hot, Cold Gear for when it's cold & All Season for the in between times.  You can also choose Compression or Loose.  Compression is designed to be very form fitting.  By very form fitting, I mean you can count someone stretch marks through the stuff if they don't have anything on top of the compression item.  Compression has some extra benefits too.  It helps hold heat to the body to keep the muscles warm, which reduces the chances of muscle pulls & strains.  Additionally, it adds a slight bit of extra support, though not much, to the muscles.

I like Under Armour because they cater to the military.  They have a dedicated line called Under Armour Tactical, that was designed to meet military specs, so we can wear it with our uniforms, even while in the desert war zones.

Currently, I run in Heat Gear Compression shorts & short sleeve shirt.  These work great as a base layer as they can be hand washed and dry over night hanging in my shower... really helps keep the stink down, which I'm sure my wife appreciates!


Over this I wear a pair of Heat Gear Loose Shorts & an All Season Transit 1/4 Zip in Yellow.  It's a nice bright color so cars can see me & it was the only long sleeve they had at the BX!




Finally, I top it all off with the Escape Runners Hat to reduce the heat lost through my scalp & to catch my head sweat!



I will be adding to my kit shortly, with some Cold Gear tights, Cold Gear Compression Mock Turtle Neck & Cold Gear Gloves... maybe even a Cold Gear hat of some sort.  I think I am going to need is since the tempeartures are plummeting over here!

No comments:

Post a Comment