Tuesday, October 6, 2009

I Want All the Gorey Details

I want to know every detail I can about my runs... I want ya'll to know them too!  So, I track them with, you guessed it, a GPS gadget!  All of my runs are logged with a nifty device called the Garmin Forerunner 305. I have dropped a little picture of the 305 down below.  This device tracks everything, and then some. The black strap is a wireless heart monitor, where it gets that data from in the activity details that you see above. It's actually a ridiculously simple device to use, which is why I like it. Being able to compare your runs that you are doing, to runs you completed several months ago, really helps you in honing your training to benefit you.  I do have two complaints about it though.

It would be awesome if it had sensors on it to show your body temperature, as well as the temperature outside while you run. I read an article not too long ago in Runners World that talked about a scientific test on this professional runner, where he ran at 50 degrees for a set mileage.  The next day, he came into the lab, they had him run at 90 degrees, and he only got the same amount of water.  The results were pretty amazing and the scientists were able to calculate how much time you add to your run for every 10 degrees the temperature goes up.  With my training being mostly during the colder months, I am wondering how the icy temperatures will affect me.  The other compliant I have, is some times, it takes a pretty good bit of time to acquire the satellite signals so I can begin my run. It needs 3 signals, and several times, it has acquired 2 satellites, but took forever to get another useable signal. Other than those two items, this thing is pretty dope! Even with my complaints about it, I couldn't ask for a better tracking device for the cost.  You can find these on sale at several online outlets, such as Tigerdirect.com & Newegg.com.


Here is another shot that shows some of its functions.  The pace function is pretty neat, giving you a graphical shot to make sure you are on pace to finish your run by your designated time, or either to see if you can beat a previous time across the same course. I standby this device. The integration of the heart rate monitor is a great touch. I used to have to wear a GPS & a Polar heart rate monitor... yeah, pair those two items (both watch style devices) with my iPod strapped around my arm; I really look like a techno weenie! I am, yes, I admit it, and those who really know me know I am a geek.  I never claimed not to be.  But with a sport like running, you usually want to have as little on you as possible.  This device has really helped, though I will NEVER get rid of my iPod while I run!  I make too many weird noises when I am plowing down a trail!  LOL!

2 comments:

  1. I don;t know about Paris, but just about all the major marathons over here have banned iPods and their ilk from being used during the race...something to look into...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, there's a school of thought that says iPods shouldn't be allowed because a good chunk of any distance run is the mental barriers. I say, in todays age where people aren't focusing on breaking world records, rather raising money for charities & becoming more healthy, they should be allowed to use whatever they want to beat the mental barriers. Paris allows them, but they also do preferential bibbing, meaning that if you can prove you are a sub 3:00:00 runner, they will give you a bib number & put you in the front of the starting block where you are one of the first people to cross the timing mat to start the race... in fact, these people's race times & chip times (more on this in a later blog) are pretty much identical. LIke I said, Paris allows them, but I will definately have to check on further events.

    ReplyDelete