Monday, October 26, 2009

Wanna Join Me?

Running, while mostly a solitary, competitive event, has long been known for joining groups of people together who share the common intrest of running.  Be it for health, raising money, or for out right competition, running has been bringing people together for years.

I am not a competitive runner... anyone who has seen... well, heard me... clomp & clammor out of Queidersbach & back (that's you Luigi!), shooting snot rockets & sweating worse than any celebrity paired to be on stage at the same time as Kanye West!  I guess I fall into the solo category for neccessity right now.  I can't carry on a conversation long while I run as I still huff & puff quite a bit while I run, but I can see me becoming more of a social runner.


Any search of the interweb will probably yield a runners club in or around your city.  If not, there are some that are strictly online, but I think they are more along the lines of the more serious runners, some, like the Marathon Maniacs, actually require you to show proof that you have run several marathons and other criteria.  I'm not there yet, but I will reserve the right to join the Maniacs, based on how I feel after Paris!  LOL!

To keep things new on my trail to Paris, I am signing up for 5k & other events.  My first event is November 9th, 2009.  I will be running a 6 miler (10k) for charity... yes, Livestrong.  The event I will be running is called World Run Day.

World Run Day was founded in 1999 by Long Island Runner Bill McDermott.  World Run Day is intended to promote the sport of running and charitable giving on one special day each year. Starting with just 100 runners worldwide, runners connected and impacted their communities in a positive way. As a result, World Run Day was the only event celebrated simultaneously around the globe by people of all backgrounds, faiths, nationalities, and benefited their favorite charities. Soon group events formed in different cities such as World Run Day - Philadelphia, World Run Day - London, World Run Day - Sydney, etc. (even "World Run Day - Afghanistan" was celebrated during wartime). The event was designed to allow every runner, whether with a group or running individually, to be a part of the day.  You can find out more about World Run Day & the events in your area, by visiting their website HERE.

While there, sign up to run with me on November 8th, even if we can't run in the same place, at least we can be running for the same event!  If you can't run, why don't you drop on by my Livestrong Donation site & make a donation to help those who are in the race for their life against cancer.  You can find my Donation site below.




No comments:

Post a Comment